Sunday, August 18, 2013

Y2K

Y2K.  It's the Year of 2nd grade and Kindergarten. 

From the day a child arrives, parents hear how fast the time flies.  That's not always because you're having so much fun, by the way!  There have been moments I wish time had flown by -- the sessions of bewildering crying jags, changing the smelliest diapers known to mankind, the mysterious food aversions, tantrums, and as they get older there is bickering, sullenness, backtalk -- in general:  'Tude!   

Aside from those frustrating and unavoidable experiences, however, there are the moments I wish I could freeze for eternity:  Regular morning cuddles on the couch, arms wrapped around my legs giving the tightest, squeeziest hugs, reciprocal "I love yous," seeing my kids understand a new idea, say some very grown-up phrase or make a mature observation... Those are the times I realize how quickly my children are growing up.

Benjamin will begin 2nd grade tomorrow and Elizabeth will be in Kindergarten.  She is eager; he is not.  She loves to learn; he would rather play.  She wants to please; he would rather be pleased.  She can be bold and adventurous; he is more unsure and hesitant.  Two very different temperaments; two very precious little people.  

Kindergarten for Elizabeth is familiar ground for this mom since Ben has already been there; I have some idea of what to expect.  Second grade will be a whole new deal, though, and I find myself anxious for my little man.  The jump from First to Second grade seems so big.  Will every successive year be like this?! 


I want both my children to shine, to find their "zone" where they can flourish, an environment where they can discover their niche and be excited about what they're learning, experiencing, seeing, hearing, touching.  I want RICH opportunities that will help them grow into even more awesome individuals.  I want to be involved, to be alongside them to capture their awe and wonder, their sense of accomplishment, to be on-hand so I can praise them for a job well-done... 


I tease Ben and Elizabeth sometimes about how they should stop growing, but really, it's one of life's grandest gifts.  They are my life's grandest gifts.  I treasure and adore them and only hope their Y2K will be a grand gift for them.


1 comment: