Friday, December 7, 2012

Those Three Little Words

Two posts in one night?  Who'd a thunk it?  Not me, but I could not let this linger in my brain too long, for fear of losing the tenderness of the moment.

It is extremely rare to hear the words "I love you" from my son, Benjamin. Tonight, however, he absolutely melted my heart!  Made my day!  Caused my heart to sing!

He and his sister like to have "sleep overs" in each other's room.  Earlier this evening, he'd been quite a pill (disrespect is our current issue) and I was on the brink of banning the request.  As happens too often, I caved, but this time, it was entirely worth it.

They were only into the night 15 minutes and Ben was already asking for his sister to go back to her room.  It can be impossible to squelch her chatter.  This time, it was her burping in his face (oh, where are the manners?!).  I was a little surprised; after all, he's a boy.  He burps and makes pooters all the time!

Anyway, I sent a tearful - well, actually, wailing - little girl back to her room.  I asked Ben if he would not be willing to give her another chance.  Yes, he said, but requested they sleep on the floor.  I relented and as I was laying his comforter down, gathering pillows and blankets and getting them settled, he said those magic words.  Not once, not twice, but three times!

He not only said the words but gave me a wonderful, lingering hug around my middle - another coveted and infrequent display of his affection.  He explained to me the three little words "came to his brain and so he said them to me - they were 'a note from God'." Truly!

No comments:

Post a Comment